Thursday, October 18, 2007

New York City!!!!!!

Frannycakes is ready to know.....moving on the east side...... As much as I do love me some Maine, I could move to New York City tomorrow. Okay, maybe not tomorrow, but the day after. I love it! We would just sell the cars and most everything else cause it sure as hell wouldn't fit in the 400 square foot apartment we could afford. It is certainly a different world there. And I wouldn't mind experiencing it. Really.

I would like to thank our distinguished tour guide, Callie McFaddin, for giving us good directions and information about the city. She is an excellent guide and I hope we will be able to book her again when we return. Everthing was just perfect Callie! You are the best!

Next I would like to thank John and Elaine for EVERYTHING! The food was DELISH, the drinks were intoxicating (hahahaha) and we just loved our first Broadway play. We had the best time! Let's go back next month! I will pack sandwiches!

And finally I want to thank Henry and Virginia and Callie for Everything! The tour was great.......(could we arrange to meet Matt next time?) and for the breath taking views from the Top of the Rock. Wow. Yall are the best!

Okay, okay......I will go back to the beginning and start from there......

Thursday, Dick went in to work for a couple of hours and then we left for our flight from Portland. We checked our bags since it was a direct flight and then headed through security. The flight was starting to board as we made it to our gate, so we got in line and got on the plane. We flew JetBlue. It was my first time on this airline. And I was impressed! The seats are big, there is plenty of leg room and best of all, you have your own private television with direct tv to watch. WOOOO HOOOOO! I put on my earphones and plugged it in and started flipping through the channels. Of course I ended up with HGTV while Dick watched ESPN. We were a very happy couple. About half way there, I remembered that I had my camera in my purse and decided that it was time to start documenting our trip. So I took one picture after another of me and my man. Now those of you who know Dick probably already realize that he did not find this very much fun. I ended up deleting about 10 pictures and just getting two that were halfway decent. Hopefully blogger will allow me to post some pictures. It has not been very nice to Frannycakes lately. But....back to the story. We arrived at JFK airport right on time and got our luggage. Then we had to get a cab. And this made us a little bit nervous. The hotel information said that it should cost about $45 for a cab fare from JFK to our hotel. So when one of the limo drivers yelled out $45, we ran and got in. We had a very pleasant ride to the hotel compared to Elaine, Henry and Virginia. They had a mad NASCAR driver with a death wish driving them. But enough about them.....hahahah......we made it to the hotel. We stayed at the Marriott in the financial district. It was beautiful. Our room was ready for us when we got there around 1:30. We met the tour guide, Callie, and Elaine, Henry and Virge and went out for lunch because we were starving by then. Lunch was delish. Afterwards, we headed to the World Trade Center site, Ground Zero. What a sobering place. So sad. So many lives changed. We toured the Ground Zero Museum. Such a tragedy. We walked around the World Financial Center and looked around. We were all getting tired and thirsty, so we went back to the hotel to meet John and head up to the concierge floor to sample some liquid refreshments and food. We had a good time talking and catching up. From the windows we could see the Statue of Liberty. From our hotel room we could see Ellis Island. The views were beautiful. Anywho, we decided we would meet later in the lobby for dinner. It was decided that we would go to the Tribeca Grill. This just happens to be Robert DeNiro's restaurant. Unfortunately, "Bob" was unable to join us for dinner. But we had a wonderful dinner and enjoyed our subway ride there and back to the hotel. Not to mention all the pretty things we saw along the way. We all retired to our rooms to rest up for the next day.

Friday morning we left our hotel around 6 so we could be at the Today Show by 7. This has been one of those things that I have been wanting to do for a long time. But I really wanted to do it on a dry sunny day when everyone came outside. The rain had started overnight and didn't let up until around 9:30. Everyone had their umbrella up and so we all waited with water dripping on you from the person's umbrella standing beside you. Plus, the lady beside me was not paying any attention to her umbrella as it was getting tangled in the rats nest of curls that I have on my head. I was constantly having to reach up and pull it out. So if my hair on the one and only time I was on camera that day was looking a little bit "messier" than normal (I realize it might be hard to tell) then you know why. The Today group came out together once after the rain stopped. Hoda came over by me. She is my height and her legs are the size of my little finger. Her hair looked good though. How does she get her curly hair straight and I can't can't beat mine that way? Meredith is shorter than I thought. She was shaking hands and walked right over to me, shook my hand and said, "Thank you for coming out in the rain today to see us." She was really nice and I instantly decided I liked her better than I thought I did. However, my heart was broken that my other man (Dick, don't read this) Matt Lauer, did not come over to my side. I was crushed. However, after deciding that they were not coming back out, we went to the NBC Experience Gift Shop at Rockefeller Center and they have a life sized cut out of Matt standing up and I had my picture made with him anyway. I also have one of me kissing him, but don't tell Dick......I told you now to read this! I asked the sales person how much his cut out was and he seemed shocked that I would even think it would be for sale. Well, I was serious. How much fun would that be? Matt Lauer in the Christmas picture, Matt Lauer standing in the snow outside the house, Matt Lauer riding around with me, answering the door....the possibilities are endless. It could have been a Christmas present for me. As Dick says, "I don't ask for much....." After drooling, I mean shopping, we walked around Rockefeller Center and over to Saks Fifth Avenue. We all had to use the restroom, so that is why we went into Saks! Nice restrooms too. I highly recommend them! Then we went to the American Girl Doll Store right across the street from Saks. I took lots of pictures for my niece and will be sending her daddy a picture of the one I will be sending her. He will be excited. We went back to take the NBC Tour at 11:30. It was short and sweet, but we did get to see where they film Saturday Night Live. They were working on the sets for Saturday nights filming. On our way out the building, we saw Chris Hanson from Dateline. He seemed to be waiting for someone. (Isn't he always?) We were all about famished, cause you know, once you start feeding the monster, he requires regular feedings. So we went to the restaurant by the ice skating rink. Again, our meal was delish. I can't complain about New York food! We decided after lunch to go to the Top of the Rock....the top of Rockefeller Center....that is what they call it. Wow! What a view. It was clear skies by then and we could see the whole city and then some. We had a beautiful view of Central Park. The wind was blowing like crazy and the rats nest was getting some serious tangles in it. We decided we wanted to walk down to the park. So after a nice walk looking and drooling and just being amazed by it all, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner and our Broadway play. We ate at an Italian Restaurant named Carmines. It was some kind of busy, but we had reservations so we walked right in to our table. The meals are served family style, where you pass around the entrees, and we pigged out. And then it was time for dessert. Elaine and John had been there before, so they knew what dessert to order. The "Titanic" is one massive dessert and I felt like I was a sinking ship when we waddled out of there. I was pretty miserable. We headed over to Broadway to our play, "The Drowsy Chaperon" which was wonderful. We were thoroughly entertained. They did a wonderful job. The only "famous" person in it that I recognized was JoAnne Worley, from Laugh In. She did a good job and looked good. She has to be at least 100 years old, doesn't she? Afterwards, we were all tired from a full day of entertainment and from walking miles and miles and so we headed back to the hotel. We all slept really well.

Saturday, we met in the lobby and headed off for breakfast. And again it was delish! We had wisely decided that the men and the women would split up. We had some serious shopping to do and of course the men did not have that on their list of things to do. We headed to Macy's and it is a sight to see. A big, big store with lots and lots of shoes, among other things! Next we went to H & M. I know some girls that would have had a wonderful time in there. Next we went to Mrs. Fields cookies and got a cold drink and come cookies because the monster needed a snack. Remember, once to start feeding him, you have to continue.... I had gone to New York with a huge request (demand) from bring her back a fake designer purse. So Callie knew just where to take us....Canal Street. I have never in my life seen anything like it! There are these little shops that are open to the sidewalk with fake designer purses after purses after purses! And of course, we had to look in every store. Then we found out that supposedly the "good stuff" was in the backrooms. You had to wait in line to squeeze through this little door to a supposedly "hidden" illegal and unventilated room to get the best purses. Of course you are packed like sardines in there with 25 other women haggling with the sales girl over supposedly designer purses. Julianne wanted a Louis Vitton bag. We looked and looked, then a scary gentleman held out this laminated sheet with Louis Vitton bags on it and told me to pick one out and he would go get it and bring it to me. So I grabbed Callie and told her not to leave me and we waited for probably 5 minutes and sure enough he came back holding a black plastic garbage bag with the two purses I had picked out in it. I swear it was like a spy movie. He said to just look at it and see if it was was what I wanted and it was! So we haggled with him (crack head secret agent purse man) and I made my purchase. Of course I made alot of other purchases and by the time we left, I was haggling really well. Callie and I went into one back room that went down some steps, under the low support beams of the building and around the corner. The floor was dirt! I wonder if they have looked for Jimmy Hoffa down there? Maybe I should tell the Secret Agent........ I was laughing so hard by the time we left there. Of course these people take cash only, so when I had gone through all mine AND Virginia's AND Callie's, it was time to go. I am dieing to go back! And I will go with a list next time....and more cash! (or friends with more cash!) We HAD to go back to the hotel because moi had so many bags that everyone had to carry them and they were killing us. So back we went. The guys, who were having a great time on their own, called to let us know they would just meet us for dinner at the China Grill. Yum Yum The monster was happy. Another great meal. New York has a wonderful food. Next we got on the subway and headed to Greenwich Village where Callie lives. We walked down Bleeker street and headed for the Magnolia Bakery. It was made famous by "Sex and the City" and for having absolutely fabulous cupcakes among other delish desserts. The line to get in was stretched around the front of the store and down the side street. IT WAS 10:30 AT NIGHT!!!!! So we waited in line. We were getting close and suddenly Callie said, "There's Matt Dillon." Now if you can't place him, you are probably too old......But he was cute and was just nonchalantly walking down the street. Soon we got to go in and got our cupcakes. Oh. My. Gosh. The butter cream frosting is sinful. After we had a cupcake, I closed up the box and then tied up the plastic bag to try and keep it fresh for Julianne and I could still smell the icing. I got the recipe off the Internet and I am going to make some at Thanksgiving. It is so rich you really can only eat one. Trust me. I ate two Sunday night and thought I was going to throw up for about an hour! We then headed back to the hotel. I had to take Advil because my legs where hurting so bad from walking some much I couldn't sleep. I am pretty sure we must have walked a thousand miles. At least a thousand. You can trust me.

Sunday morning we leisurely woke up and got ready. We had said goodbye to everyone the night before because they were leaving for the airport earlier than we were. We went ahead and checked out and had them hold our luggage. We ate in the restaurant downstairs and again it was delish. Just wonderful! Callie was hanging out in her parents room until her late check out time so she came down to say goodbye again. We tried to get her to eat, but obviously her monster was still asleep! So after a chat and hug, she went back upstairs to catch a few zzzz's. Being a Tour Guide is tiring! We decided to take a quick walk down by the river walk and picked us out a couple of building we wanted to live in. Of course picked out a few in Greenwich Village too! I was sad to leave the hotel because that meant that our wonderful weekend in New York was over.

I think Dick had just as good a time as I did. Getting away from work and getting it off his mind is just what he had been needing. We are both ready to move there for a little while and just experience it all. Even he said it would be fun. I am ready........

I am going to try and post some pictures.....bear with me. If I think of anything I left out, I will let you know. Tootles!


Jackson said...

Frannie you are one wonderful momma. I'm glad yall have fun and got to travel with each other. Its time for you and Dad to visit places you've only seen and imagined of.

Ps. I know Dad loved it. He sounded like a kid telling about his christmas presents. He was so excited.

Yvonne said...

Oh your trip sounds like so much fun!!! I have never been to New York - and never wanted to until now! You make it sound like something I have to see in my lifetime! Glad you had such a good time!

Anonymous said...

It was just as great as you described it and the pictures were good! Thanks for sharing....could/would you send me the group shots by email, please???
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Finally got to read your account of your trip. Sounds like you all had a great time. I remember when Daddy and I went several years ago, I wasn't too hopped up about it, but Daddy and I also fell in love with the City. There is just something about the bustle and availability of things to do that makes it so appealing.

I agree with Jackson, I think it is time for you and your man to spread your wings and experience the world. Glad you enjoyed your trip! Good Pictures Too.

Love You, MOM