Sunday, October 19, 2008

New Old Lampshade




Hey Yall! About a year ago, I found two great Waverly toile lampshades at a great store we have up here called The Christmas Tree Shoppes. Great store! They were marked down to $1.99. Full sized shades that were perfect for a couple of lamps I had that needed new "attire" to update them. One lamp is in the formal living room/Dick's office. The other one is in the entry hall from the side porch. I love the black and white toile, but needed some color in there. So I decided to paint the shade. You know....being green, recycling, whatever! I originally decided to paint it with a tan colored paint that had been watered down. You can see from the second picture what that color turned out to be and it was not what I was looking for!




So after leaving it on the lamp for a month with this hideous color that stuck out like a sore thumb, I decided to take it off and repaint it today. I got my barn red craft paint and thinned it with some water. I can't tell you the exact measurements because it is a very guarded secret. Or because I didn't measure. I very carefully (hahahahaha) swirled it around with my paint brush until it looked completely thinned. I, however, was mistaken because after painting for a while I got a few darker globs in the fabric and had to brush the paint brush over it continuously to try and thin out the color. I went over it twice and actually got a little bit darker on the second coat. Mostly because the bottom of the paint was thicker....I guess I should have swirled it every few strokes.




All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. I feel like I have a new lampshade in there.

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

good job frannie!!! good job!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

Mack said...

Wow - those turned out very pretty!

Darlene said...

Those turned out GREAT!!! I want to get some toile....I LOVE it and can you believe it..I have NOTHING in it!!! hehehe...a great excuse to shop...what do you think!?!

Philigry said...

beautiful! i love it.

BigHeadFred411 said...

And to think that you doubted me when I suggested that you paint your carpet. You've come a long way baby!

I miss you!

With all my sincere, undying love,

Fred

Anonymous said...

So glad that BHF411 has reappeared on the seen, I have missed his decorating suggestions! I know you have too!
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great idea, love the new color.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I like the uneven colors, its very pretty that way!