Friday, October 31, 2008

What Warms You? This will!



Hey Yall! Today, Stacey of Poofing the Pillows (isn't that just the cutest name for a blog?) is hosting a "What Warms You" Recipe Exchange. I am sharing my favorite soup, Vermont Ski Lodge Soup. No I didn't get it from Vermont. No I didn't get it while I was at the ski lodge. I received a recipe book from my friend Elaine and it was there that I found this fabulous soup! What I love about it is that after browning the sausage, you just throw everything in and put the lid on for 2 hours. The recipe make a lot of soup. I freeze what is left into single serving size zip lock freezer bags. Sometimes I make a grilled cheese to go with it and sometimes we have corn bread or biscuits. This is a hit at my house and I know you will love it at yours!

Vermont Ski Lodge Soup

2 lbs. bulk sausage, browned and drained well
4 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped (I buy the cheapest store brand diced)
3 medium onions, chopped
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large bell pepper, chopped fine
4 cans red kidney beans with juice (I buy the cheapest, again)
4 cans water (tomato can)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup barley or rice (I use rice 'cause I never have barley, but want to try it sometime!)

Combine all ingredients in large soup kettle. (Be sure and use LARGE!) Simmer, covered, 2 hours or longer. Makes 16 to 20 servings.



Be sure and click on the link above to go back to Poofing the Pillows and go visit all the different blogs that are participating in this exchange! You might find something you want to cook this weekend.










--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

8 comments:

B. said...

Soup sounds great and really easy.... you throw in the rice with everything else and cook it 2 hours?

Fran said...

Thanks for the comments Bobbie! Yes, just throw the rice in and cook it with everything else. It thickens it. I have forgotten to put it in before and just boiled some rice and put it in the bowl before I poured in the soup. That was delish also.

Fran

Angie said...

This sounds so good! I love soup and a grilled cheese sandwich - YUM!!!

emmapeelDallas said...

That sounds GREAT!

Stacey said...

My goodness that looks good. I don't have anything like it either. Thank you so much!! We will definitely try this. :)

Twyla and Lindsey said...

This is an unusual soup recipe. I think I must try it. Thanks for sharing it. Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

Mack said...

That sounds absolutely deelish! I will have to show my mom the recipe.

Sugars,
Mack

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran,
I copied your Vermont Stew receipe.
I think I might try it during the Thanksgiving weekend. David & Korina
are coming as are Tara and her boys.
Meagan & Jay may also be coming so we will have a house full and the soup sounds like something they could just help themselves too along with some good southern cornbread. I'll let you know. Shirley